Friday, July 13, 2007

Life Story

I have a younger brother and enjoy photography and travel.

I have grown up in the Midwest area but done extensive traveling, my career is in large scale computer center support. After high school, I obtained a Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Information Science with a strong concentration on Mathematics, strong enough to almost qualify me for a second 4 year degree, but I entered the work force in the University's IT department. It was an interesting a challenging time.

For 14 years or so I worked very hard, multiple jobs, fast track promotions, and built a nice financial safety net. During this time I also developed and taught computer classes.

In my mid 30s I married my wife. After nearly 20 years at the University it went through a "transformation", read chaos, and an opportunity presented itself. I joined a startup firm who's objective was to obtain certification to sell and service IBM mainframes.

This was great exposure for four years. Seeing every facet of the company from birth, to heavy traveling, to marketing, to strength, to death. Something no business school could teach in a classroom.

Then the tech bubble burst... and so did the startup. After a period of time I got a new job but it started on third shift with a 100 mile/day commute. I wrecked two cars and was diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea so lived away from home, near work for 2 months.

Well after I pulled myself back up, physical recovery and then financial recovery, my wife announced she had made an irrevocable decision to end the marriage. I suggested mediation but that didn't satisfy her so she took our son and started a very messy divorce case.

So now 15 years later, after 2 years of a bitter divorce case, at age 50, my premarital financial safety net is gone, the final decree issued and I'm starting over. Struggling to stay in my 7 (almost 8) year olds life.

A blogger buddy I've traded stories with observed that there is a fun-loving guy inside trying to get out. I like that. A lot. And I'm gonna let him out.

1 comment:

Little Wing said...

There really is a fun loving guy wanting out!
You have a great sense of humor John, and that is what gets you thru some of your trials and tribulations!