Sunday, July 15, 2007

Marshlands

Here's a boardwalk that cuts through a 1000 acre marshland on the way to protected sand dunes bordering the Northcoast. The Marsh grass is easily over 10 feet high and there is an abundance of wildlife in the area.





You can see the creek leading into pond, breaking through the tall grass, in the upper middle. Surrounding the pond is a bog that that has some firmness but mushes in like foam if you step on it. You can push a stick several feet into the bog because it remains damp throughout. Here is a tree stump in the bog, which contains very black soil.




Its been dry, so this creek feeding the marsh has dried out. It normally runs about a foot deep between the boardwalk (not visible) and the tall grass. Here a bird made his nest in a tree on the edge of the marsh.

3 comments:

Little Wing said...

This is an amazing boardwalk and marsh!
That bog must be so much fun to visit!
I would love to see all of it!

Lara Croft said...

hey Jq has this blog changed since my last visit ?

JQ75 said...

Thanks for the reminder Lara, been scanning a bunch of photos in for some posts. I haven't built up a backlog of topics for my new Blogs yet as I have for my first Blog on Divorce, but I will, and then these blogs will get regular updates too.